The Federal Government through the National Universities Commission organized a seminar sometimes in 2009 at Abuja on the Webometrics ranking where all the Vice-Chancellors were informed to improve on their web representations. Arising from the seminar, the Webometrics Centre was established at the third meeting of the Expanded Operations Management and Advisory Team (E-OMAT) on Monday 27th April 2009, the first of its kinds in the history of FUNAAB since inception.
The Head of the Centre is Dr. Olusegun Folorunso, a Reader/ Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science, whose appointment took effect from 16th August, 2010.
FUNCTIONS OF THE CENTRE
- Gathering appropriate data from all Departments, Centres and Units: Publishing good contents on web is a principal factor in Webometrics ranking. Thus, the main function of the Centre is to gather appropriate data from all departments, centres and units across the University.
- To transform the collated data into web contents: To achieve this, the Centre through the Management appointed nine (9) Casual Data Entry Operators in August 2009, who have been inputing and transforming data collected from all departments, Centres and Unit into web contents uploaded into the University website.
- To present the University well to the whole world through the rich web contents: The web Designers at the ICTREC and the web Administrator at the Webometrics Centre are working round the clock in seeing that the appropriate content are published daily. Their efforts received the commendation of the Webometrics Committee at its meeting held 14th April, 2010.
- To see to the regular update of the University website
- To see that the University website is up and running 24/7