Senator, Sir (Dr.) Adeseye K. Ogunlewe was born on December 6, 1943 at No. 8, Okoya Street, Idumagbo, Lagos. He is a Prince from an affluent dynasty of Igbogbo, a community in the Ikorodu Local Government Area of Lagos State. He was at one time Permanent Secretary in Lagos State between 1986 and 1991. He was appointed Managing Director, Public Works Corporation, Lagos State; Chairman, Lagos State Public Works Corporation and Member, Urban Development Bank where Chief M.K.O. Abiola was Chairman. He was elected a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the platform of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) in 1999 for the Lagos East Senatorial District, before he defected to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). He was appointed Minister of Works from July, 2003 to March, 2006.
Senator, Sir (Dr.) Adeseye K. Ogunlewe attended St. Patrick Catholic School, Ikorodu for his Primary School education and Oriwu College, Ikorodu, where he obtained West African School Certificate Examination (WASCE) in 1964. He proceeded to the University of Ibadan, Ibadan and obtained Bachelor of Science degree in 1971. During his stay in the Premier University, he participated actively in students’ politics. He later proceeded to the University of Lagos for his Law Degree programme in 1977 and to the Nigerian Law School to obtain Bachelor of Law (BL) in 1981.
Senator Ogunlewe in his quest for knowledge, proceeded to the prestigious Harvard University, USA for a short course in 2005.
1. Tax Assessment Clerk, Federal Board of Inland Revenue;
2. Teacher, Ikorodu High School, Ikorodu;
3. Administrative Officer, Lagos State;
4. General Manager, Lagos State Public Works Corporation;
5. Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Lands, Housing and Survey, Ministry of Home Affairs and Tourism;
6. Permanent Secretary, Local Government Service Commission;
7. Chairman, Lagos State Public Works Corporation;
8. Member, Urban Development Bank with Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola as Chairman;
9. Member of the 4th Senate, 1999 – 2003;
10. Hon. Minister of Work, 2004 – 2006. Established Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA)
HONOURS AND AWARDS
Senator Ogunlewe has bagged several awards locally and internationally. They include:
(i) Honourary Fellow of Nigeria Society of Engineers (FNSE), the 11th Non-Engineer to have been so honoured;
(ii) Honourary Fellow of Nigeria Institute of Quantity Surveyors (FNIQS);
(iii) Honourary Fellow of Nigeria Institute of Surveyors (FNIS);
(iv) Honourary Fellow of Nigerian Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers (FNIVS);
(v) Knight of John Wesley (KJW);
(vi) Forever Museum of Contemporary Art (FMOCA);
(vii) Honourary Fellow of Michael Okpara College of Agriculture, Umuagwo; and
(viii) Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) by the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
1. The Obon Uforo, Uyo;
2. Otunba Fuwagboye of Ikorodu;
3. The Okaa-Omee Ndigbo of Lagos;
4. The Mene Lebura pa Gokana of Ogoni Land;
5. The Ogbunereuzol of Umoyata Autonomous Community of Imo State;
6. Grand Commander of Nigerian Students.
1. Honours Award, Nigeria Union of Journalists Golden Jubilee;
2. Presidential Merit Award, Association of Consulting Engineers, Nigeria (ACEN);
3. Plaque of Honour, the Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers;
4. Certificate of Appreciation by the National Union of Road Transport Workers, National Headquarters, Abuja;
5. Gold Service Award, Rotary International District 9110, Nigeria;
6. Commander of the Order of the Peacock, Island Club; and
7. Dr. Kwame Nkrumah African Leadership Award.